‘Tis the season to be jolly
But how can I be when I have nobody
The yuletide carol doesn’t make it better
Knowing that we won’t be together
A silent night I know it’s gonna be
Joy to the world
But it’s gonna be sad for me
What do the lonely do
At Christmas
Oh, oh, what do the lonely do
At Christmas time
The children can play with their new toys
While their little hearts burst open with joy
And lovers can kiss beneath the mistletoes
The choirs can sing those glorious songs of old
But what is left
Oh, for me to do
Now that it’s Christmas
And I don’t have you
Never have I felt my singleness more than this year. This will be my second Christmas as a single person, my first since my divorce was final in October. I can't say that I'm depressed, but more like melancholy is my state. Although my family is coming, the Christmas season will be different for me. My dear kitty is gone, my 51st birthday is close, my shoulder rehab is going slow.
But then I must slap myself and pause: the Word made flesh. Wow, when you think about it closely, what a blessing to the world!! Who would have thought that the Word would come as a baby? Who would have thought that the Word would come to serve? Who would have thought the Word made flesh would love me so much to bear my sins on that cross?
The world would have you believe so many falsehoods about this time of year. Yes it is magical, but you don't have to be a couple to experience the magic.
The answer to the question, what do the lonely do at Christmas, is to serve, to focus not on one's self, to love.
No comments:
Post a Comment