The rich rule over the poor, And the borrower becomes a slave to the lender.
-- Proverbs 22:7 (NIV)
There has been one other time in my adult life when I was debt free except for a mortgage. Several years after my first divorce, I managed to pay off my student loan, my car, my ex's car. At the time we divorced we worked for 2 years to pay off all our credit card debt. That was in the early 90s. My goal has always been to be debt free as I head toward retirement. I have been blessed, to pay off my debts, a credit card and the medical loan I took out when my daughter went to rehab. I am always amazed at God's goodness. I attribute this to His mercy and grace and the decision I made last January to tithe, notwithstanding the fact that I was in debt, and bouncing checks every pay period. I decided to trust God, be obedient to His word and tithe. He has been faithful.
I bought a few things for myself, several pair of pants to replace the ones that Mister threw away. I even bought a few pair of new shoes, I am the consummate bargain shopper and found these on amazon.com, I vowed to pay no more than $25 and bought 3 pair and the shipping was free. I bought a Christmas tree. I got an oil change and bought new tires for my car. Having been on a strict budget for the last year, I find that I don't need to shop endlessly and buy things that I really don't need. When I think back on it, the mindless shopping was an attempt to fill a void in my life; I had a life lacking in love and caring and I thought things would comfort me and make me feel good and even feel good about myself. Minimalism and simplify is my theme and to my delight, God has shown me what's really important, to find joy in the simplest things. And I have found joy, watching the sun rise as I walk or run or ride, watching the stars in the night sky.
I will take the money that I would have been using to pay debt and fund a Roth IRA. My new mantra is if I can't pay for it, save for it and pay cash. I'm going to start saving for my next car.
I also have enough money for a down payment on a small house or condo. Now is the time to buy. I've been looking, but I'm in no hurry.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment