Friday, January 4, 2008

Happy 50th Birthday to me!!

"Show me, O LORD, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life. Psalm 39:4


50 is the new 30!



50 is the new 30!

I am in awe that I have arrived at this milestone, somewhat sane and alive. When I think back over the previous 50 years, I can see God’s hand of protection over me.

Some people are stunned that first, I tell my age and second that I am not terrified of being 50. I am healthy and for the first time in 30 years, free from abusive, stifling relationships. I remember thinking this time last year, “I don’t want to go into my 50s with a man hitting me and cussing me. My life has got to be different.” I resolved that the next time he hit me, that was it. That was February 4, 2007 and I made my plans to get out of that living hell.

This is a new beginning, a fresh start, a chance to do it different. I feel as if God gave me a “do-over” and I am so grateful. My goal is to live up to the gift that God has given me. I am reminded of the life of King Hezekiah. He prayed to the Lord to heal him and the Lord gave him 15 years . I hope to receive that and many more from God and make good use of the time I have left. To praise God, to use the abilities He has given me, to make someone’s life a little easier, to pray for my friends and enemies alike.

So my plans for this year: Run my first half marathon. I have always wanted to do an Ironman, but after my first century, I said, there is no way I’m running 26 miles after being on the bike this long. So I kept training, kept hoping and became more realistic and accepting of my abilities. So I thought, a half Ironman can be within my reach. But I could not mentally conceive of running 13 miles. I could see the 1.2 mile swim, I’d be last out of the water, but I know it would be doable. I could see the 56 miles on the bike; I’d be fresh enough off the bike to run. But 13 miles…my cycling coach said if I would run a stand alone half marathon, he would train me for a half ironman. So I signed up for Lost Dutchman Half Marathon, February 17. It has also been designated as a marathon by National Black Marathoners Association, so it will be nice to run with people of color.

So as I start my life anew, I am happy, healthy and somewhat of a sane mind. Now if God could just do something about those hot flashes!

4 comments:

MacLady said...

My dear when I grow up, I want to be just like you! :)

1B7C said...

Congrats on turning 50. We're looking forward to seeing you in Arizona.

Tony Reed
Executive Director
National Black Marathoners' Association

Cee said...

May you have 15 plus 50 more happy, healthy years.

Glennia said...

So glad you started a blog. You have always been my hero(ine)! Happy belated birthday to you!