Tuesday, January 15, 2008

There's still time to change the road you're on

If there’s a bustle in your hedgerow don’t be alarmed, now, that’s just a spring clean for the May Queen. Yes there are two paths you can go on and in the long run, there’s still time to change the road you’re on. Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin

I credit integration for giving me a love for rock music. I love the Who, Jefferson Airplane, and who does not love the Eagles?

While I was out riding my bike into a headwind, this song came to my mind. I was thinking about my children and the paths they are taking into young adulthood. They have both been on the wrong path, a result of some childhood trauma inflicted upon them by their father. My children were thrown into a pit by the actions of their violent father, who did not heap physical abuse on them, but verbal and emotional abuse. His actions culminated in him raping a woman and receiving a 20 year jail sentence. He was physically abusive to me; after he put a gun to my head, I prayed right there, "Lord if you get me out time (he had gotten me out numerous times before) I will never be back". This was a pit I jumped into and stayed there for over 10 years.

But God is a God of second chances, God is a God of restoration and as I pray for them and all the young people who are struggling into adult hood, I pray that they pick the right path for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction. (Matthew 7:13). I also God for healing and recovery for the childhood trauma my children suffered.

No comments: